Integra DRX-8.4 11.2 Channel AVR – First Look
All Image Credit: Integra
Integra has recently added a new flagship AV receiver (AVR) to its current lineup for 2023. The brand new THX Certified Integra DRX-8.4 offers 11 x 150-watts of power, Dirac Live with upgrades options to Dirac Live Bass Multi Subwoofer, 8K pass-thru together with extra features for custom installers.
The DRX-8.4 has been designed with the custom installation (CI) market in mind. It is compatible with Control4, Crestron, Save, URC, Elan, and RTI custom installation control systems. Installation and connectivity issues may be resolved using the onboard diagnostics tool kit with video test patterns, EDID/HDCP adjustments, and a virtual remote is included that can be used via a web app. This is said by Integra to allow integrators the ability to set up the DRX-8.4 remotely using a web-based GUI with integrators being able to pair the receiver with their preferred remote monitoring platform to quickly service any possible issue without the need to be on-site. The 8.4 also has a Quad-core network processor for improved IP responsiveness and stability.
For audiophiles the DRX-8.4 incorporates; a newly engineered chassis and audio signal path for optimum noise reduction, anti-resonant aluminum heat sinks, audiophile-grade capacitors and uses two ESS 32-bit ES9026PRO Hyperstream® II 8-channel audiophile DAC’s supporting a wide dynamic range with low levels of distortion and noise.
The included DIRAC Room Correction Full Bandwidth firmware provides optimization for room acoustics that can be accomplished via the Dirac PC/MAC app and optional USB mic (Advanced), or via the free Integra Mobile App (iOS, Android) and included wired mic (Basic). The hardware is Dirac Live Bass Control ready (single or multi sub) and the firmware can be purchased from the DIRAC store as an optional user upgrade at $349.00 and $499.00 respectively.
Other features include; HDMI 2.1 connectivity with HDCP 2.3 to support advanced, next-generation formats such as 8KP60 and 4KP120, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X immersive audio capabilities. The AVR is gaming friendly having; variable refresh rate (VRR) and auto low latency mode (ALLM) technologies, easily interfaces to sound bars and TV’s with its auto return channel (ARC)/enhanced (eARC) and is compatible with HDR formats including; Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10 and hybrid log gamma (HLG).
Features At A Glance:
- Amplification: 11 Channel Amplifier (A/B class), 150 Watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2-ch driven, FTC)
- Audio Support: Surround sound formats include; Dolby Atmos/Dolby Atmos Music, DTS:X, IMAX Enhanced and Auro-3D (with 2023 firmware update), as well as additional surround sound processing modes
- Hi-Res Audio: Support for 24-bit/192kHz audio and DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz) playback. Digital audio format support includes MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG-4/AAC, FLAC and ALAC.
- Wireless Music Streaming: Amazon HD, Spotify Connect, Tidal. Deezer, Pandora, Tune-In and is Roon Ready (with 2023 firmware update)
- Multi-room Audio: Works with Sonos Certified
- HDMI 2.1 Support: Includes HDMI-eARC and Gaming Support (4K/120Hz, 8K/60Hz) with up to 40Gbps transfer rate, VRR (Variable Refresh Rate), ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT)
- HDR: Pass-through of all HDR formats, including Dolby Vision is provided
- Remote Control: Wireless handset provided.
- Voice Control: Alexa Built-in, Google Assistant, Apple Siri, and Josh AI (this option needs to be installed professionally)
- Smartphone App Control: iOS, Android
- Compatible with OVRC Pro, Domotz, Luxul Pro Watch, VPN, and other monitoring platforms
- Control via; Control4, Crestron, Savant, URC, Elan, and RTI
- Wired control: 12-volt trigger (2), wired remote sensor (in/out), RS232C, IP Control
- Wireless: Bluetooth (Apt X HD), AirPlay 2, Chromecast Built-in Wi-Fi (Wired Ethernet is also included if needed)
- Wired Inputs: HDMI (6 rear/1 front), Analog (5 plus 1 x XLR), Phono (MM-1), Digital Optical (3), Digital Coaxial (2), USB (1 Rear)
- Wired Outputs: HDMI (3), Multichannel Pre-out (11), Subwoofer (4 – two independent/2 parallel), XLR pre-out options for L/C/R, SW1/SW2, Headphone (1)
- Speaker Connections: 15 Pairs of speaker terminals
With its 11 channels of amplification and two independent subwoofer outputs, the DRX-8.4 supports 7.2.4 channel speaker setups. The 8.4 also includes two additional wired zone outputs, Zone 2 and Zone 3 that each support two-channel stereo setups.
- Spring 2023 through authorized Integra integration partners.
- US: $3,200.00
For more information visit the Integra web site.
Check out my other Integra DRX and DRC AVR posts.